Friday, January 20, 2012

Venue Search Part I

I can quickly see how this can search can be the bane of a bride's existence.  It's really very exhausting work.  Other than the groom, this seems to be one of the most important facets of a wedding.  Without it, you can't choose a date, a season, size of the wedding party, decorations, budget, anything!  You have to find a place, visit/contact the place, and see if it meets all your criteria.  It's also a little more difficult for me as I'm in Southern California at the moment (finishing up an MBA and a Master's degree - hopefully graduating in May!), and I'd like to have Sacramento be one of the locations.  Thankfully I have family that can go check it out for me, but it's really not the same as being there.

See my first foray after the jump!


M first location is in Elk Grove, which is less than 10 miles south of my brother's house (which will be the hub).  So it's quite close (+).  It's the Laguna Town Hall, which is part of Elk Grove's public parks and rec.  It's relatively easy to find (+) and I think there's ample/free parking (+).  It's used to being a wedding/events venue so they do have a wedding package, which is pretty inclusive.

They have an outdoor courtyard but it's much too small to hold everyone (the reception hall is the building to the right).


They do have this nice ampitheatre area which is more doable (+).  They only provide 200 chairs so we'd have to rent.  I would love to have a little candy buffet, and a DIY photo booth outside as well.

I'm hoping they allow decorations because I think a balloon theme would be so fun and cheerful.  Mr. Journey and I aren't religious so we'd most likely have a simple ceremony with a friend officiating (one of my friend already received his license for another friend's wedding, if we want to go with him).  We'd mostly spend our time outside taking pictures and playing :)


Here is the reception hall, which can hold a total (and they say they're very strict about this) of 300 people, which is a bit on the low side for me (-).  And they said if there is 300 people, that would take up the entire space.  Which means no room for food, a dance floor, or even a main aisle.  I don't know if they have a sound system in place.  I'm not much of a dancer but it'd be nice to give people the option to do so. It was a nice enough hall and from pictures it looks very pretty with decoration.  They allow outside catering (+) which is a MUST since we'll be having a buffet.

I know having a sit down, waited on reception is perceived as classier, but it's expensive and the dietary needs are too complicated.  I'd like to have a lot of Chinese wedding banquet staples along with a few Western staples for the picky eaters (like mac and cheese), and vegetarian, Indian food for Mr. Journey's side of the family.

They have a kitchen area which is good for holding all the food (and keeping them eating ready) (+).  They provide tables and chairs (+).  They allow alcohol without having a license (+); my family aren't very big drinkers and again, an open bar is expensive and potential landmine of awkward moments, so most likely some nice wine and champagne on each table.

For a full day rental on a Saturday will run around $1750, plus security.

Final verdict - 7/10 for now.  I'm not in love with it but I'm not ruling it out just yet.  I have to see my other options in order to properly measure it but right now it has a couple of big issues (mostly capacity).

No comments:

Post a Comment