Sunday, October 14, 2012

Greetings and Salutations

I suppose a little background on good ol' Miss and Mister Journey are in order, right?  I'm afraid our love story isn't very exciting but it's going strong!  I think the most interesting thing about us (at least in my perspective) is how quickly we snowballed into this, considering I've never aspired to get married and I tend to over-think things.

After the jump, behold our faces!!

(Valentine's Day, where he surprised me with a year-membership to the San Diego Zoo)

A bit about me: I consider myself a California girl - other than a few years living in Saudi Arabia when I was little (my Dad worked for oil, go fig), I spent a pretty normal childhood in the Bay Area.  I was shy and nerdy but I consider myself a late bloomer.  I started to come into my own once I went to Los Angeles for college.  I love to read, travel, eat (and take pictures of my food - sorry, I'm one of those people!), and try new things.  My parents immigrated to California when they were pretty young, so they're this strange mix of very traditional Cantonese parents but with some surprising liberal and Western thought (I really don't know when one or the other flares up, though, so I'm constantly surprised).  I have one older brother who's one of those people who is so smart, he's dumb.  We're only a year apart but I feel like the older sibling most of time!  I love him to bits and think I'm VERY lucky to have such a great brother.  I don't think we've ever fought!

I love to laugh and comedies are my favorite type of movie (followed by mindless action).  30 Rock, Arrested Development, Psych, and Lost are some of my current TV obsessions.  I took martial arts until I was 19 but I doubt I could kick anyone's ass other than my own.  I'm deeply involved in the arts and double majored in Art History and East Asian Language and Culture.  I recently earned my Masters in Arts Management and MBA in Nonprofit Management.  I'm hoping to find work in the arts nonprofit sector in administration....wish me luck!

I laugh hysterically at animals, especially if they're fat and silly.  No one takes me seriously.

(This is me as Kim Jong Il for Halloween in 2010.  Best. Time. Ever.)

Mr. Journey: On the flip side, if you were to meet Mr. Journey, I bet your first thought would be, "What a NICE guy!"  Endlessly polite, smart, well-spoken, and friendly, he comes across as a straight-lace, takes his coffee black no-funny-business-thank-you-sir kind of guy.  DO NOT LET THIS FOOL YOU!!  While I'm perfectly content to act a fool in public and with my friends, he tends to bottle this all up and releases it only in private.  It's both a privilege and burden to be subjugated to his silly songs, random dances (his current one is Sexy T-Rex, where he vogues frantically with little T-Rex arms then poses), and his nicknames for me (his latest favorites are Fot Seal [because I eat a lot and am greedy with food] and Dingleberry <-- I do not enjoy this one). 

He grew up in Toronto with very traditional Punjabi parents and doesn't eat meat other than the occasional chicken breast.  He has one older brother who is a force of nature and his parents adopted one of his cousins after her parents passed away at an early age.  His brother and wife are expecting a child early next year so Mr. Journey is going to be an uncle!  He loves music, particularly folk and bluegrass, and sweets.  And coffee, especially espresso and cappuccino.  He's currently working in the gaming industry and his favorite type of movies is romantic comedies (I know, right?).

(He IS Anpanman!)

Our Story: We met in grad school since we were in the same MBA program and were friends first.  I had broken up with my boyfriend of 7 years earlier that year (amicable but still sad) and wasn't very interested in being romantically involved.  He was just wrapping up a pretty messy breakup with his long-term girlfriend.  We had the same group of friends - it's a small program - and we mostly just studied together in groups.

I thought he was pretty good looking and very nice (he bought everyone coffee and frozen yogurt in our time of need more than once).  Even though I wasn't even remotely interested in dating anyone at all, I do remember thinking, when I found out he had a girlfriend, "Ah, the good ones are always taken."

That December in 2010, we somehow got to talking and it came to light that I hadn't been to a Cheesecake Factory in years (oh, the shame!) and we decided to go one weekend, in a completely platonic fashion. Or so I thought.  Yes, Mr. Journey is a sneaky devil.  I should have known he had other intentions when he picked me up and instead of going straight to Cheesecake Factory, he told he made reservations to two different restaurants so I can pick the one I liked the best, then take me to Cheesecake for dessert.  But, like a chump, I thought he was just very, very nice.

He stuck to me like glue everyday for the next week, making sure to insert himself in my life at every turn.  We laughed and talked every day, sometimes until 5 a.m.  I finally got it when he grabbed my hand and after a meaningful glance, gave me a great big kiss.  We've been inseparable since.

 (At our 'official' engagement ceremony, April 2012)

To this day, I don't know exactly how he got me to agree to date him.  I distinctly remember telling myself not to date anyone until at LEAST January the coming year.  So when I found myself kissing him in December...

I still think he's a witch.  Investigations are being conducted.


So that's our story - pretty boring, right?  How did you and your fiance meet?  More wedding related stuff in the next post, promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment